CITY OF STERLING HEIGHTS
The City of Sterling Heights is now recruiting for position of Firefighter to establish an eligibility list. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements and complete the application and selection process.
Salary: $47,068 to $83,705 after 5 years plus excellent fringe benefit package. A candidate who has prior experience as a professional Firefighter may be placed at a higher rate of one (1) step for each year of prior experience, up to a maximum of four (4) steps.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS 2020-2021
- Citizenship of the United States must be maintained as a condition of employment. Applicant must submit birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers.
- Residency is required in Macomb County and/or within twenty miles of the municipal boundaries of the City of Sterling Heights within six months after the expiration of the probationary period. The probationary period is one year. *Currently under negotiations and the residency requirements may be subject to expand.
- Not less than eighteen (18) years of age on the date of application.
- Applicant must be the holder of a valid Michigan driver’s (or chauffeur’s) license (or an equivalent from another state) and have a good driving record in accordance with, but not limited to the following standards:
- No conviction of, or plea of guilty or no contest to, an alcohol-related driving offense during the 7 years preceding the application deadline, and not more than one conviction during the applicant’s lifetime
- No conviction of, or plea of guilty or no contest to, reckless driving during the 7 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile
- No more than 3 points on the applicant’s driving record at any time during the 7 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile
- No more than 2 moving violations issued to the applicant during the 2 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile and no more than 5 during the 7 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile
- No more than 2 motor vehicle accidents determined to have been the fault of the applicant during the 7 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile
- No loss of driving privileges through suspension or revocation by the State of Michigan or any other state or country during the 5 years preceding creation of the applicant’s examination profile
- Must not have been convicted of a violation of criminal law. (Criminal law generally includes traffic law, conservation law, and liquor law.) In general, conviction for a violation of criminal law is automatic disqualification, unless the violation is a driving-related offense outside of the disqualification parameters set forth in Section 4 above. However, in the discretion of the Fire Chief based on the individual facts and circumstances involved, applicants who have one prior conviction for a misdemeanor punishable by 90 days in jail or less may still be considered.
- Capable of performing the essential job functions of firefighter as set forth in Fire Department Rules and Regulations.
- Educational minimum of a high school diploma or GED Certificate.
- Must possess or be eligible to obtain a State of Michigan Firefighter II Certificate at time of hire. Applicant must submit copy of current certificate or proof of IFSAC, Pro-board Certification or State certificate for reciprocity for Firefighter I and II at time of contingent offer of employment.
- Must possess a State of Michigan Paramedic license or be currently enrolled in a State of Michigan Paramedic program or pending licensure as a State of Michigan Paramedic or out-of-state Paramedic license with the ability to seek reciprocity through the National Registry Certification and the State of Michigan. Applicant must possess and submit proof of a State of Michigan Paramedic license at time of hire unless otherwise determined differently through a current Letter of Understanding with the IAFF Firefighters Union. Out of state candidates are highly encouraged to start the reciprocity process in advance.
- Must possess and submit proof of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification at time of hire.
- Must read, understand and comply with the Sterling Heights Fire Department “Professional Appearances/Grooming Standards” Administrative Order. Applicant will receive and must sign and return acknowledgement form at time of application.
- Must possess current CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) certification and submit proof of certification at time hire. A CPAT is not required for new hires who have experience with an IAFF municipal fire department and who have obtained their CPAT within the last 5 (five) years. Candidates must provide proof of their CPAT certification.
- Must possess good moral character determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, and personal traits and integrity. This includes arrest and expunged convictions, all previous law violations and personal protection orders.
- Must not have previously failed a City of Sterling Heights pre-employment background investigation.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants must first create a profile and then register and take the written exam to be administered by Empco Inc. Go to EMPCO’s website at https://www.empco.net/fts to register for the written exam. Applicants must complete the online profile and have a current score as of June 25, 2021. Test scores with Empco are active for one year.
Applicants scoring 70% or above on the written examination and meeting the above minimum requirements will then be contacted by EMAIL to fill out the City of Sterling Heights background packet and submit copies of certifications, diplomas and certificates at that time. They will be scheduled for an oral interview upon submission of the application and supporting documents. Applicants must score 70% or better to pass the oral examination. A two-year eligibility list will then be formulated based on the average of the applicants’ written and oral scores.
Applicants must successfully pass the character background check, psychological examination, drug test and physical examination administered by or directed by the City of Sterling Heights.
City of Sterling Heights is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, disability, sex or
marital status. Equal Opportunity Employer M\F\D
CITY OF STERLING HEIGHTS
SUMMARY OF COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Starting pay is $47,068 to $83,705 (56 hour workweek) after 5 years plus excellent fringe benefit package. A candidate who has prior experience as a professional Firefighter may be placed at a higher rate of up to 4 steps for each year of prior experience.
- Medical insurance:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Simply Blue PPO high deductible plan. Deductible is $2,000 single\ $4,000 two people or family. Prescription drug $5\$25\$50.
- City funds the employees’ Health Savings Account with $1,200 for single enrollment or $2,400 for two people or family enrollment.
- No premium share for the employee.
- Dental insurance:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Dentemax Dental Plan, maximum benefit per family member is $1,000 per year.
- Optical Insurance
- The City provides at no cost, an optical plan to the employee and his or her dependents, which includes an annual eye examination and biennial purchase of lenses and frames (or equivalent) to the employee and his or her dependents. The co-pay for eye exams is $5.00 with a $10.00 co-pay for the purchase of eyewear.
- Defined benefit pension plan – 2.0% multiplier
- Eligible for retirement after 25 years of service
- Final average compensation best 3 out of 10 years
- Employee contributes 8% of compensation
- Social Security – do not pay into nor is employee eligible for social security benefits based on city service
- Retiree medical insurance
- No medical insurance is provided to the retiree
- $3,000 is contributed by the City to a post employment health plan which the retiree may use to defray the cost of health care.
- Paid 192 hours (8 – 24 hour days) annually
- After one yr of service 7 working days
- 2 yrs of service 9 working days
- 3 yrs of service 11 working day s
- 4 yrs of service 13 working days
- 5 yrs of service 14 working days
- 10 yrs of service 15 working days
- 15 yrs of service or more 16 working days
- Sick time and
- Accrue 20 hours of sick leave for each month of employment
- All sick leave hours in excess of 240 hours each year bought back at 75% in June
- 4 hours personal time are earned each month of employment
- Personal time hours in excess of 96 hours are bought back at 100% in June
- Short term and
long term non duty disability
- 60 percent of base pay
- Uniform and Food
- $1,250 for food allowance
- $1,250 for uniform allowance
- Longevity pay
- 5 years $1,430
- 10 years $1,944
- 15 years $2,457
- 20 years $2,970
- Life Insurance
- At no cost to the employee, the City provides a $50,000 life insurance with double indemnity for accidental death.
- At no cost to the Retiree, the City provides a $10,000 life insurance until age 70.
- 75% reimbursement for tuition, lab, and student fees, and required textbooks to a maximum of $2,000 per year for undergraduate courses and $3,000 per year for graduate courses.