Recruitment Pursuant to Act 78
Posting Date: February 2, 2023
Closing Date: March 10,2023, 11:59 PM
Starting Salary: $70,898/yr. Certified Police Officer, less than two years. $78,418/yr. Two or more years of full-time sworn Police Officer experience.
Maximum Salary: $83,352/yr.
Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance and 4 weeks for vacation effective date of hire. Additional paid personal and sick leave. Retirement plan includes 401a and Retiree Health Savings plan with employer contribution.
Officers hired may be reimbursed for costs up to $5,000 for Police Academy costs incurred.
4 weeks of vacation starting your first day.
DUTIES (Not All-Inclusive): Responsible for protection of life and property through enforcement of laws and ordinances. Patrols assigned areas, investigates and makes arrests, directs and controls traffic, writes violation tickets, prepares reports, appears in court, provides service and assistance to public, performs related work as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS – Must be met as of date of official application Open Competitive Applicants
Must meet one of the following MCOLES standards:
- Currently certified or considered “certifiable” by MCOLES standards
- Currently enrolled in a MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program with a projected graduation date no later than July 1, 2023 and provide proof of same.
- Any applicant who fails to comply with these requirements shall become ineligible (certification must be maintained throughout the term of the eligibility).
Promotional Applicants Only: Current City of Troy Police Department employees successfully meeting all other requirements, who have completed 5 years of full-time employment by the closing date, and who have received a satisfactory score on their most recent performance evaluation will be sent to the police academy if required.
Open Competitive and Promotional Applicants
- At least 21 years of age as of date of hire. Must be a United States citizen.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color vision; normal hearing.
- Able to pass any physical agility test required to determine physical fitness for the performance of duties of position to be filled.
- Must possess 12th grade reading and writing proficiency as measured on the College English Placement Test or an exam similar in content.
- Bachelor Degree or Associate Degree in any field, or a minimum of 60 semester credit hours from an accredited college or university. Recent satisfactory sworn Police Officer experience (within five years prior to closing date of announcement) may be substituted for years of college on a year-to-year basis. One (1) year recent satisfactory experience as a Police Service Aide City of Troy Police Department employee may be substituted for up to 1 year of college (30 credit hours). Experience in military police, private security, campus security, and/or reserves will not be considered.
- No prior felony convictions.
- Valid Michigan Driver License with good driving record (based on City of Troy standards). Out-of-state applicants must provide current driving record at time of application and obtain State of Michigan license within one (1) month of employment.
- Must have taken and passed the MCOLES Pre-employment Test (reading and writing test).
- Must have a current passing test score (at least 70%) on record with Empco by closing date of this announcement. (Register with Empco at https://www.empco.net). Test fees are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Those who meet these criteria will be invited to an oral interview. Virtual (Zoom) interviews may be available upon request for special circumstances.
EVALUATION PROCESS will consist of application review, background investigation, psychological evaluation, pre-employment physical and drug screen in addition to the written test (60%) and interview (40%).
APPLY Candidates must complete a City of Troy application at www.troymi.gov/jobopenings and complete the testing requirement at Empco’s Law Enforcement Testing System website https://www.empco.net with the Troy Police Department selected. The City will notify qualified applicants by email to schedule an oral interview.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The City of Troy is committed to providing equal opportunity employment to all applicants. The City of Troy will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, religion, color, sex, height, weight, marital status, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal and state law.