The City of Sterling Heights is now recruiting for the position of Police Officer to establish a one year eligibility list. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements and complete the selection process.
Starting Salary: Starting pay is $53,139 (2023 first step rate), with six month step increases to $91,590 (2023 last step rate).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS 2023-2024
- Citizenship of the United States must be proven at the time of application and maintained as a condition of employment. Birth certificate or naturalization papers must be submitted with background packet.
- Within six months after completion of probation, an officer must reside within the geographic boundaries of one of the following five Michigan counties that are within twenty (20) miles of the City’s municipal boundaries:
- St. Clair
- Applicant must have attained the age of 18 on or before the date of application.
- Applicant must be the holder of a valid Michigan driver’s (or chauffeur’s) license (or an equivalent from another state) and have a good driving record in accordance with, but not limited to the following standards:
- No conviction for alcohol-related driving offenses.
- No conviction for reckless driving.
- No more than six (6) points on driving record at time of submission of the application.
- No loss of driving privileges due to revocation.
- Must not have had any convictions, guilty pleas, no contest pleas or plea agreements relating to any criminal charges punishable by more than 90 days in jail, regardless whether any penalties were imposed. Applicants will not be automatically disqualified for a misdemeanor punishable by 90 days in jail or less, but the incident will be evaluated and weighted as part of the background investigation. All previous law enforcement contact will be considered when determining eligibility under this item, including expunged, suppressed and non-public information.
- Applicant must be capable of performing the essential job functions of police officer as set forth in General Order #1.06 (copy included in background packet).
- Applicant must have sixty (60) credit hours toward a degree from an accredited college, or two (2) years’ experience as a full-time police officer or two (2) years of full-time United States military service by application deadline.
- Must be MCOLES certified or MCOLES certifiable at time of hire.
- Applicant must meet the minimum physical standards required by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) to be a police officer.
- Must read, understand and comply with the Sterling Heights Police Department “Professional Appearances/Grooming Standards” General Order. Applicant must sign and return acknowledgement form included in background packet.
- Must be cleared by a comprehensive background investigation covering school and employment records, financial history, home environment, personal traits and integrity.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants must first create a profile and then register and take the written exam to be administered by Empco Inc. Go to Empco’s website at https://www.empco.net/testing to register for the written exam and pay the exam fee. Applicants must complete the online profile and have a current score as of Sunday, October 1, 2023.
Applicants with a current score of 75% or above on the written examination as of Sunday, October 1, 2023 and meeting the above minimum requirements according to their EMPCO profile will receive an email from Human Resources with instructions on completing the application (a deadline will be provided in the email). Applicants who do not receive an email from Human Resources will need to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements and turn in a completed application by the deadline will be invited by Sterling Heights to participate in an oral interview. Applicants must score 70% or better to pass the oral examination. A one-year eligibility list will then be formulated based on the average of the written and oral scores.
Applicants must successfully pass the character background check, psychological examination, drug test and physical examination administered by or directed by the City of Sterling Heights. The City of Sterling Heights is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, disability, sex or marital status. Equal Opportunity Employer M\F\D