St. Clair Shores Police Department
Full Time Patrol Officer
Opening Date: 08/17/2021
Closing Date: 10/1/2021
Contact information: Officer Hammer (586) 445-5309 or email@example.com
To Apply: Visit www.scsmi.net
The St. Clair Shores Police Department is seeking qualified patrol officer candidates who poses strong leadership, communication, decision making, and problem-solving skills. Patrol officers perform a variety of law enforcement duties which include patrolling assigned areas, investigating criminal and suspicious incidents, responding to calls, arresting suspects, preparing incident reports, and traffic related duties. Duties are performed both indoors and outdoors, and often in inclement weather.
Applicants should be in good physical condition and able to perform all essential job functions. Ideal candidates should be enthusiastic, trustworthy, compassionate, respectful, and able to exercise sound judgement with a strong desire to serve the community.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
- Investigating illegal activities, traffic crashes, suspicious situations, domestic disturbances, animal complaints, etc.
- Report writing and incident documentation.
- Arresting and transporting suspects.
- Dealing with Emotionally Disturbed Persons.
- Vehicular and foot patrol duties.
- Gathering and logging evidence.
- Writing citations and testifying in court.
- Enforcing local, state, and federal laws.
- Interviewing victims, suspects, and witnesses.
- Safely handling and maintaining proficiency with department issued weapons.
- Assisting the public with miscellaneous concerns and guiding them toward the proper resources (Community Policing).
The City of St. Clair Shores is an equal opportunity employer.
The City of St. Clair Shores is accepting applications for Patrol Officer with the intent of establishing eligibility to fill both current and future vacancies.
PLEASE INCLUDE COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION OR IT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s License
- College Transcripts (A copy of your diploma is NOT acceptable)
- MCOLES Certification
- Letter from Police Academy indicating date of graduation (if applicable)
Applicants must meet the following requirements and provide the following documentation at the time of application:
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States of America and be at least 21 years old.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have a minimum of 60 semester hours of college credits OR currently employed as a full time Michigan police officer with at least two years of experience.
- Applicants should be certified by MCOLES or certifiable under MCOLES standards.
- If not currently certified by MCOLES or “certifiable” under MCOLES standards:
- Individuals may apply if currently enrolled in a MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program. Any applicant who fails certification under this provision shall become ineligible.
- Veterans of any branch of the United States Military who qualify for the MCOLES Military Police Basic Training Program are encouraged to apply. Any applicant who fails certification under this provision shall become ineligible.
- Any applicant who applies under the provision of 5A or 5B of this posting must complete all academy training and successfully pass the state certification exam before potential employment.
- The City of St. Clair Shores shall not consider any applications unless the following documents are supplied with the application: Copies of Applicant’s Driver’s License, Birth Certificate (or Naturalization Document), College Transcripts, and MCOLES Certification or letter from the Police Academy certifying enrollment and expected graduation date.
- All Applicants must meet the criminal history requirements and background check requirements of the City of St. Clair Shores Police Department.
(Certification must be maintained throughout the term of the eligibility list)