Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Office
Position: Corrections Officer I
Closing Date: Open until filled
Starting Salary: NF-17 (A) $20.66/hr.
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
The functions is to oversee the custody, safety and security of inmates in the Kalamazoo County Jail.
- Observe inmate activity to detect unusual or prohibited behavior which might be a threat to the security of the facility or to the safety of others.
- Respond quickly to calls for assistance in the jail.
- Prepare written reports after responding to critical incidents.
- Accurately count inmates under his/her supervision several times during each shift.
- Conduct thorough search of inmates and jail cells.
- Monitor inmate feeding, recreational activities and inmate visits.
- Correctly deliver prescribed medication to inmates.
- Ensure that security systems, firefighting equipment, and other equipment in the facility are in operating condition.
Must have: Michigan Sheriff’s Coordinating Training Council (MSCTC) certification within one year of hire. Two years of College, two years law enforcement or corrections experience, or the equivalent with military service. Michigan Law Enforcement commission on Standards (MCOLES) certification is accepted but must still have MSCTC certification within one year of hire.
Candidates must be a minimum of 21 years of age and possess a valid Michigan driver’s license. Ability to pass a post-offer medical exam, drug screen, psychological evaluation, LCOPAT fitness test and the EMPCO Correction written test. Must pass a thorough background investigation. Ability to complete First Aid certification. Understand and retain knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, security procedures and techniques. Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations. Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies and multitask. Ability to obtain accurate data, prepare written reports and communicate effectively. Ability to meet the physical requirements of the work, which includes the performance of strenuous tasks requiring muscular strength, coordination, and cardiovascular endurance. Ability to wear and operate respiratory devices. Ability to learn and apply self-defense and other procedures for dealing with hostile or violent inmates. No visible tattoos or must be concealed during working hours. Must pass a thorough background investigation.
An individual with any of the following is ineligible for consideration for employment: A felony conviction, a pending felony or misdemeanor charge, a domestic violence conviction, or an outstanding warrant.
All applicants must complete a KCSO Application Packet which are available upon request or at the Sheriff’s Office Front Desk, Monday thru Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
To view the current collective bargaining agreement, please go to www.kalcounty.com/hrd and click on Union Contracts (left side).
VETERANS: Please provide your joint services transcript with your application.
Apply online: https://www.kalcounty.com/hrd/openings.php
Or send resume to:
Undersheriff James E. VanDyken
1500 Lamont Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49048