The City of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is seeking qualified individuals interested in a position as Public Safety Officer. The City of Bloomfield Hills is located in Oakland County, Michigan, and is approximately five sq. miles with a population of 4,000 residents. As a Public Safety Officer for Bloomfield Hills, you will patrol the city and answer calls for service to protect citizens and property from hazards such as crimes, fires, and medical emergencies. In the course of your duties, you may conduct traffic stops, make arrests, respond to medical emergencies, provide fire and rescue services and carry out other tasks as assigned. You will receive initial and ongoing training to maintain skills and proficiency in firearms, defensive tactics, emergency medical services, firefighting, and more. Bloomfield Hills DPS is seeking individuals with a positive attitude, strong work ethic, impeccable character and integrity, and the ability to maintain a calm demeanor in high-energy situations. If this is you, we encourage you to apply today!
Hours and Wages
This is a full-time position with a wage range of $56,319.80 starting with increases to a wage of $84,369.54 at five years. Lateral transfers are available for individuals with qualifying experience starting at one year up to three-plus years. Includes a competitive benefit and retirement package. Candidates must be available to work 12-hour shifts. All employees are subject to immediate emergency callback to meet the City’s needs.
Specialized Unit Training
Bloomfield Hills DPS allows for professional growth through a tiered Command structure as well as unique training and specialized training within the field of Public Safety. Some of our Officers specialize as Evidence Technicians, Firearms Instructors, Arson Investigations, Use of Force Instructors, Field Training Officers, Oakland County Hazmat Team members, South Oakland Crash Investigation Team Members, Motor Carrier Enforcement, hostage negotiations. The City also offers tuition reimbursement as the Director holds continuing education in high regard.
- Provide preventative patrol, in an automobile, or on foot; investigates suspicious subjects, vehicles, and situations. Conducts property checks of businesses, public buildings, public areas, and private homes.
- Uses radio equipment in accordance with department policy to receive assignments, request information, and maintain awareness of department activities. Keeps shift supervisor apprised of status and activities.
- Investigates reported crimes, accidents, and other incidents. Gathers, protects, and processes evidence to the best of their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Enforces ordinances and statutes, making arrests or issuing citations using the appropriate discretion to protect the safety and well-being of the community.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed appearance and wear approved attire/uniform.
- Provide traffic control and enforcement.
- Perform first aid on injured persons as a State of Michigan licensed Medical First Responder. Department will provide initial training and continuing education.
- Completes all necessary reports, tickets, forms, and administrative paperwork as necessary to complete tasks assigned.
- Responds to fire incidents to perform firefighting duties as directed by the on-scene Incident Commander.
- Perform other duties assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Associate’s degree/60 credit hours minimum required, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Any field of study will be considered.
- A minimum passing score of 70% on Empco Law Enforcement pre-employment written exam (www.empco.net). See the Empco website for a list of dates and locations the test will be administered. Applicants must make their results available to the Bloomfield Hills Public Safety Department.
- Either MCOLES certified/certifiable or MFFTC FF I & II certified (applicants currently in a fire or police academy in good standing will be considered). Dual MCOLES and MFFTC certification is preferred.
- Pass the pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Pass the pre-employment psychological exam.
- Pass pre-employment background check. No felony convictions.
- Pass firefighter physical agility test administered by Oakland Community College Fire Training.
- Firefighter-only certified applicants would be required to complete MCOLES pre-enrollment reading, writing, and physical fitness testing. (https://www.michigan.gov/mcoles)
- Ability to work rotating shifts and overtime as needed.
- Available to individuals who have completed one to three years of full-time experience as a full-time firefighter or police officer currently certified or eligible to be certified in Michigan.
- Empco written test waved for individuals with 3+ years experience as a certified police officer.
- Accelerated Hiring Process
- Competitive Medical/Dental (Blue Cross Blue Shield and Delta Dental). Retirement Health Savings Account.
- 401a Retirement Plan (14.5% employer, 5% employee for a total contribution of 19.5%). Additionally, an optional 457 Deferred Compensation Plan is available.
- Longevity premium:
05 but less than 10 years $2,141.48
10 but less than 15 years $3,569.13
15 but less than 20 years $4,996.78
20 years or more $6,424.43
- Paid Time Off including Annual, Personal and Sick Leave.
- The employer will provide the first set of uniforms and equipment. A uniform allowance is provided after one year based on the current CBA.
The Department is currently accepting applications, apply online at https://laserfiche.bloomfieldhillsmi.net/forms/psoapplication. Applicants must submit a Cover Letter, Resume’, employment application, and pre-employment questionnaire as part of their application.
Please direct any questions concerning this process by Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.